Header Ads

test

Russia S-400 deal already sealed, Turkey tells US

ANKARA: Turkey will not back down from its decision to buy Russian S-400 missile defence systems despite US warnings that it will lead to Ankara's exclusion from the F-35 fighter jet programme, foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Thursday.
The Nato allies have sparred publicly for months over Turkey's purchase of the S-400s, which Washington has said could trigger US sanctions.
US acting secretary of defence Patrick Shanahan last week sent his Turkish counterpart a letter warning that Ankara would be pulled out of the F-35 jet programme unless it changes course from its plans to install the defences. In what was Turkey's first response to the letter, Cavusoglu said no one can give Turkey ultimatums. "Turkey will not back down from its decisions with these kinds of letters," he said. "Turkey bought S-400, it is going to be delivered and stationed in Turkey."
President Tayyip Erdogan had said on Wednesday. that Turkey had already purchased the S-400 defence systems and hoped they will be delivered in July.
[1]

References

  1. ^ S-400 (timesofindia.indiatimes.com)


from Gulf News, Latest Middle East News Headlines & Live News Updates - Times of India http://bit.ly/2KPe1Qi

No comments